|Yield: 8 Servings
NOTE: This Coconut Bread Pudding was Granny’s recipe, my twin sisters’ mother in law.
- 8 slices bread
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 6oz. Can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. almond extract, or vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups coconut
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- Spray a 2-quart dish with Pam.
- Soak the bread in warm milk.
- Beat egg yolks and 1 egg white.
- Gradually add evaporated milk, extract and sugar.
- Add this to the bread and milk.
- Then add 1 ½ cups coconut and butter.
- Bake in a 325-degree oven for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Do not over bake or it will be dry.
- Beat the egg whites with ¼ cup sugar until still.
- Cover the pudding with the meringue being sure to go to the sides of the pan.
- Place in oven and leave for 3-4 minutes or until the meringue is a golden brown.