|Yield: 10-12 Servings
NOTE: Grandma’s Bread Pudding was the best! There was always leftover bread in the house to prepare this dish. There still is. If you do not use your old bread for homemade breadcrumbs, try one of these 2 recipes for bread pudding. This one is from my mom.
- 9 slices bread
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 12 oz. can evaporate milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Separate the egg yolks and whites.
- Break the bread into small pieces.
- Place in a mixing bowl with 1 cup sugar, evaporated milk, milk, vanilla, egg yolks and melted butter.
- Mix well.
- Pour into a 10” X 8” size baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam.
- Bake in a 450-degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Do not overcook or it will be too dry.
- Beat the egg whites with ¼ cup sugar until stiff.
- Cover the pudding with the meringue being sure to go to the sides of the pan.
- Place in oven and leave for 3-4 minutes or until the meringue is a golden brown.